The aging process can bring about many undesirable changes to your facial features. One area that many people have trouble with is their eyes. As we get older, the skin around the eyes will begin to sag and develop a droopy appearance. If your droopy eyelids are bothering you, then you may want to consider blepharoplasty to help rejuvenate your youthful look. Read on to know more about this procedure.
What is Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty is a plastic surgery designed to rejuvenate one’s eyes by eliminating the excess saggy skin that develops with age. The procedure involves removing excess skin, muscle, and fat around the eyes and recontouring the remaining tissues to achieve a smoother, more youthful look.
Benefits of Blepharoplasty
In addition to the aesthetic benefits of blepharoplasty, it also comes with functional benefits as well. Droopy eyelid skin can impair one’s vision and make tasks that were once easy to perform, incredibly difficult. By removing the excess skin causing the vision impairment, blepharoplasty
can help restore your unhindered vision for an improved quality of life.
Preparing for Blepharoplasty
Prior to blepharoplasty, you will need to schedule a consultation with Dr. Alejandro Reyes.
During your consultation:
- You will need to discuss your full medical history to ensure that you are in good physical health.
- You will also need to discuss your expectations from the surgery.
- You will have to undergo a physical examination, vision examination, and eyelid photography as part of pre-operation preparation.
- You will also be given pre-operative instructions that will require you to stop taking medications which increases the risk of bleeding and smoking for several weeks before surgery. This will help reduce the risk of complications during the procedure and promote faster recovery during the time after.
- You will also need to arrange for someone to transport you home after surgery and also stay with you the night after surgery.
The blepharoplasty procedure takes around a couple of hours to complete if both the upper and lower eyelids are involved. It is usually performed as an outpatient procedure and does not require a long stay in the hospital. Dr. Reyes will utilize an anesthetic to help make you feel more comfortable during the surgical process.
If all four eyelids are involved, Dr. Reyes works on the upper lids first. He will make a small incision to gain access to the underlying tissue and remove excess skin and fat, and repair loose muscles. Once the necessary corrections are made, he will close the treatment area with sutures. They will remain for 3-6 days and can be removed during your follow-up appointment.
As with any other procedure, it is important to find an experienced surgeon with a good track record to carry out the surgery. A good surgeon will help you to carry out the procedure safely and successfully.
Blepharoplasty requires the following steps after surgery:
- Use of ice packs as prescribed by the doctor
- Gentle cleaning of eyelids and application of drops or ointments.
- Do not smoke
- Do not undertake activities such as aerobics, jogging, heavy lifting, and swimming.
- Protect the eyes from sun and wind by using dark-tinted sunglasses.
- Do not rub your eyes
- You are required to sleep with the head in an elevated position for a few days.
- Take plenty of rest and avoid any activity which stresses the eyes.
It is important to take complete rest for a few days after the surgery. All the swelling and discomfort will go away within a couple of weeks, and in time, you can resume normal activities. The final results start being visible after 4 to 6 weeks of surgery and last up to 5-7 years. Some people may be able to enjoy the benefits for a lifetime.
Are You A Candidate for Blepharoplasty?
Ideal patients for blepharoplasty should be in good physical health and have realistic expectations. If you suffer from a degree of sagging skin that not only causes you to look older and more tired but also obstructs your vision, then blepharoplasty may be a good option for you.
Most people decide to go for blepharoplasty around 35 years of age. There is no lower age limit for blepharoplasty, but it is recommended that potential patients wait until at least 18 to undergo the procedure.
Contact Our Office
If you’re interested in learning more about blepharoplasty, contact our office to schedule a consultation today. Dr. Alejandro Reyes is certified by the Mexican Board of Plastic Surgery and will help guide you through the entire process.
Dr. Alejandro Reyes who is certified by the Mexican Board of Plastic Surgery and recognized as a Specialist, Member of the Mexican Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons located in Juarez, MX, who is very skilled and has a vast amount of experience with the Eyelid surgery procedure.